Professor Alain BENSOUSSAN
- Applied Mathematics and Automatic Control
- Stochastic Processes and Estimation
- Operations Management and Inventory Control
- Differential Games
- Risk Analysis
- 12 books
- Over 400 scientific articles
- Ecole Polytechnique, graduated in 1962
- Ecole Nationale de la Statistique et de l'Administration Economique, graduated in 1965
- Institut de Programmation (1966)
- PhD in Mathematics, Paris (1969)
- Chairman of European Space Agency (ESA) Council from July 1999 to July 2002.
- President of CNES (Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales) from January 1996 to February 2003.
- President of INRIA (Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique (1984-1996).
- Full Professor at the University of Paris-Dauphine (since 1969), Emeritus since 2004.
- Part time Professor at the Ecole Polytechnique from 1970 to 1986.
- Part time Professor at the Ecole Normale Supérieure from 1980 to 1985.
- On leave at the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, Brussels, as Professor (1971-1973), then as Chairman (1975-1977).
- Ashbel Smith Professor, University of Texas at Dallas, since 2004.
- Director, International Center for Decision and Risk Analysis, School of Management, University of Texas at Dallas, since 2004.
- Chair Professor of Risk and Decision Analysis, Faculty of Business, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2009-2012).
- WCU Distinguished Professor, Ajou University, since 2010.
- Chair Professor of Risk and Decision Analysis, Department of Systems Engineering and Engineering Management, College of Science and Engineering, City University of Hong Kong, since 2013.
Activities and Scientific Responsibilities
- Member of the editorial board of Scientific Journals
- Editor in Chief of Asymptotic Analysis Journal (IOS Press)
- Co-Chief Editor of Risk and Decision Analysis (IOS Press)
- Member of the French Academy of Sciences (since 2003)
- Member of the Academy of Technologies (since 2000)
- Member of the Academia Europae (since 1995)
- Member of the International Academy of Astronautics (since 2002)
- Ordre National du Mérite (Commandeur) - 2000
- Légion d'Honneur – [Officier] – 2003
- Bundes Verdienst Kreuz – [Officier] – 2003
- Von Humboldt Price – 1984
- Fellow IEEE – 1985
- NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal, October 2001
- Special Award AAAF, June 2002
- Fellow SIAM – 2009
- Fellow AMS – 2012
List of Books
- Filtrage Optimal des Systèmes Lineaires, (Dunod, 1971).
- Management Application of Modern Control Theory, (North Holland, 1974), with G. HURST & B. NASLUND.
- Applications des Inéquations Variationnelles en contrôle Stochastique, (Dunod, 1978), (English translation: Application of Variational Inequalities in Stochastic Control, North Holland, 1982), with J.L. LIONS.
- Asymptotic Methods in Periodic Media, (North Holland, 1978), with J.L. LIONS & G. PAPANICOLAOU. Published online by Elsevier in 2011.
- Stochastic Control by Functional Analysis Methods, (North Holland, 1982).
- Impulse Control and Quasi-Variational Inequalities, (Dunod, 1982), with J.L. LIONS, russian translation, 1987.
- Mathematical Theory of Production Planning, (North Holland, 1983), with M. CROUHY & J. M. PROTH.
- Perturbations Methods in Optimal Control, (Dunod-Gauthier Villars, 1988).
- Stochastic Control with Partial Information, (Cambridge University Press, 1992).
- Representation and Control of Infinite Dimensional Systems, (Birkhauser 1992) Vol. 1, with G. DA PRATO, M. DELFOUR et S.K. MITTER.
- Representation and Control of Infinite Dimensional Systems, (Birkhauser 1993) Vol. 2, with G. DA PRATO, M. DELFOUR et S.K. MITTER.
- Regularity Results for Nonlinear Elliptic Systems and Applications, (Springer 2002), Applied Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 151, (Springer 2002) 443 p. with J. FREHSE.
- Representation and Control of Infinite Dimensional Systems, 2nd Edition, (Birkhauser 2006) with GIUSEPPE DA PRATO, MICHAEL C. DELFOUR and SANJOY K. MITTER.
- Dynamic Programming and Inventory Control (IOS Press 2011) Vol. 3 Series: Studies in Probability, Optimization and Statistics.